Thursday, January 17, 2013


By Jason Smith ‘15
This course has truly been an incredible experience on so many levels. As my first time out of the country, coming to Brazil has taught me so much, not only about Brazil, but about the United States as well. Every presentation we have seen, and every site visit has been directly applicable to environmental and renewable energy technology, and I have been soaking it up as much as possible. Perhaps even more important has been the opportunity to build lasting relationships with so many new people. Surrounded by some of the best faculty in the world, I have been able to have fascinating conversations with professors on everything from hydrogen electrolysis to climate change from agriculture. The network of students I have met has brought me much closer to some of the ones I already knew from Harvard, and created a new group of friends from Brazil that are not only valuable as educational connections, but as meaningful relationships as well.